Prevention will always be the best medicine
A patient's health is not complete without comprehensive testing.
- Annual checkups can overlook diseases that are subtle or subclinical. A minimum database can diagnose earlier and enable timely management of common diseases, such as diabetes, kidney disease and parasitism.
- Every animal is unique, so it is important to know what normal is for each patient.
- Trending results allows earlier diagnosis and intervention. Earlier detection and treatment leads to better outcomes, improved quality of life and lower treatment costs.
Physical examination alone can fail to detect illnesses.
To learn more about preventive care, contact your Veterinary Diagnostic Consultant.
What tests are part of a minimum database?
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Biochemistry (ALT, ALP, albumin, bilirubin, BUN, calcium, creatinine, glucose, SDMA, total protein) and electrolytes (Na+, K+, CL-)
- Urinalysis with sediment
- Fecal tests
- Heartworm and Tick-borne disease screening (in at-risk areas)
- FeLV and FIV tests (feline only)
Additional baseline tests depending on patient’s signalment, history and physical exam:
- Thyroid tests
- Cardiac tests (eg. Cardiopet proBNP or SNAP Feline proBNP)
- Pancreatic tests (eg. Spec cPL/fPL or SNAP cPL/fPL)
Studies and Protocols
Practice Education and Tools
Pet Owner Education and Videos
Orderable pet owner materials
View, download or order printed materials now
Using the drop-down option(s), select the printed item(s) you wish to order, then complete your customer and shipping address details below. Note that the availability of certain items may be limited.
Please allow 7-10 working days for delivery.
Related products & education
Diagnose kidney disease earlier with the IDEXX SDMA Test
Learn how the IDEXX SDMA test can help you diagnose chronic kidney disease earlier and what to do next for patients with an increased result.
View and trend all your results
Make care decisions in real time with IDEXX VetConnect PLUS to quickly address patient health and client concerns.
Knowledge you can put into practice
The IDEXX Learning Center (U.S.) offers an array of continuing education opportunities for you and your staff.